Welcome to Naisinfocentral and Animal Disease Traceability

Hay Growers
Animal Disease Traceability
Hot Alerts-New
NAIS "Official" USDA Documents
What is Premises Identification?
What is Animal Identification?
What is Animal Tracking?
Senators Response to NAIS
USDA Premises Registration Numbers
Camelid Working Group
Cattle Working Group
Equine Working Group
Equine Citizens Working Group
Goat Working Group
Poultry Working Group
Sheep Working Group
Swine Working Group
NAIS on YouTube
United Nations System
Alabama NAIS
Alaska NAIS
Arizona NAIS-NO NAIS State
Arkansas NAIS
Australia - NLIS
California NAIS
Colorado NAIS
Florida NAIS
Idaho NAIS
Illinois NAIS
Indiana NAIS
Kansas NAIS
Kentucky NAIS-Voluntary
Louisiana NAIS
Maine NAIS
Massachusetts NAIS
Michigan Nais-Mandatory
Minnesota NAIS
Mississippi NAIS
Missouri NAIS
Montana NAIS
Nevada NAIS
New Hampshire
New Mexico NAIS
New York NAIS
New Zealand-NAIT
North Carolina NAIS
North Dakota NAIS- Resolution
Oklahoma NAIS *Bill introduced
Oregon NAIS
Pennsylvania NAIS
South Carolina NAIS
South Dakota NAIS
Tennessee NAIS
Texas NAIS
Utah NAIS-Voluntary
Vermont NAIS-No funding request
Virginia NAIS
Washington NAIS
Washington D.C. NAIS
Wisconsin NAIS-Mandatory
Wyoming NAIS-Jt Resolution to Congress against NAIS
NAIS Cooperative Agreements
Traceability Equals COOL
Digital Angel
GIS Mapping
Are we all Mis-Informed?
Bruce Knight
Quotes with a Capital V
USDA Blunders
Approved Tag Resellers
Is NAIS Voluntary?
Talking Points for NO NAIS
RFID Chips
RFID pg 2
Digital Angel
What will it Cost?
Articles of Importance to NAIS pg 1
Articles of Importance to NAIS pg2
Senators on NAIS
Hay Growers
USDA DataMining
National Agricultural Statistics Service-NASS
National Farmers Union
4-H & NAIS
Bird Flu
Vets & NAIS
State Government is Watching
Pork Magazine
12 Questions to ASK about NAIS
Reportable Diseases
SPS Agreements
Sustainable Development and or Agenda 21
Codex Alimentarius
A visit from the USDA
Current Equine Outbreaks
Real ID / NAIS Comparison
No NAIS Sites
Dogs going NAIS
The Paradigm Shift: Total Transformation
Eminent Domain
Food Safety
What is the Hegelian Dialectic?
Delphi Technique
Are your pet foods "scientifically" made like you think?
NAIS is Censored by the Media
Guide to Good Farming Practices

Enter subhead content here


Bioterrorism Rules to Affect More Than Just Livestock Owners

The federal government’s efforts to protect the nation’s food supply seem to have impacted everyone from backyard farmers to large-scale livestock producers. Now it will impact even more agricultural producers—hay growers.

According to a Food and Drug Administration spokesman, even farmers who sell only hay must be in accordance with the Bioterrorism Act of 2002; mainly with their record keeping.

Any hay-growing operation with more than 11 full-time employees must record the field that each load of hay came from; the truck that hauled the hay; the name and contact information of the driver, and the people who helped load and unload it; the name and address of the hay purchaser; and the date the hay arrived.

The goal of this program is the same as the animal ID: To be able to trace any feed contamination problem back to its source. According to the 2002 law, it applies to “persons that manufacture, process, pack, transport, distribute, receive, hold or import food.” Animal feed is included in the FDA definition of food.

Grain elevators, feed manufacturers, alfalfa processors and other businesses that process or store farm products must also comply.

The implementation date for hay growers with more than 11 employees is June 6, 2006; smaller operations must comply by December 9. --SEC

“Under the Bioterrorism Act, farms are exempt from all recordkeeping requirements, and commercial hay producers are considered under the "farm" category.
However, transporters of products that are being bought and sold between farms are required to keep records under the Bioterrorism Act. So if commercial hay producers or truckers receive hay for redistribution or if they transport hay to another farm under a different ownership, they will need to establish and maintain records for this portion of their activity -- only the distribution
and transporting portion.  “The records required are found in Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 1.352 located at the following URL:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/fr04d09a.html#sec1-352. The records that need to be kept by the transporter, in plain language terms, are: names of seller and buyer, origin and delivery points [addresses], dates of shipment, number of packages (bales in this case), product description, how they moved product (e.g. truck), and any transfer points of product, if any. It is important to note that the
Bioterrorism Act does not have any new labeling requirements associated with it.”   


http://southeastfarmpress.com/news/103106-hay-storage/  Oct 31, 2006 9:59 AM

What a deal you can get up to $3500. and sign up your premises for a hay storage building, I wonder if they have to pay it back or is this a bribe like the vise grips...they even dictate HOW TO  build it... And the Farm Service Agency, UT Extension, Farm Bureau or Co-op locations are helping in the Registration of Property all for a BRIBE of TAXPAYERS MONEY!!! 

Which we will reference back to the USDA Cooperative Agreements as "Incentives" and again in the Draft Strategic Plan, page 2 stating: Flexible – The NAIS must allow producers to use NAIS in coordination with production management systems, marketing incentives, etc. 

 On page 13 DSP: Flexible – The NAIS must allow producers to use NAIS in coordination with production management systems, marketing
etc., allowing for the transition to a “one number – one
animal” system for disease control programs and other industry
administered programs.


Tennessee Agriculture Commissioner Ken Givens recently announced the Department of Agriculture will begin accepting applications for cost share assistance Jan. 1, 2007 from state farmers interested in building new hay storage structures.

“The quality of hay production and storage has a direct impact on the quality and health of cattle,” said Givens. “If we can help farmers improve forage nutrition and handling, then we can make a difference on their bottom line through better cattle management and marketability of their livestock. This is simply an expansion of our ongoing efforts to increase farm profitability through better cattle genetics, health and handling.”

Givens is expected to formally announce the program during the annual Tennessee Forage and Grassland Council Meeting on Nov. 3 at Ellington Agricultural Center in Nashville.

The department has allocated $1 million for the hay storage initiative from the Tennessee Agricultural Enhancement Program (TAEP), established by Governor Phil Bredesen and funded by the Tennessee General Assembly.

Beginning Jan. 1, cattle and hay producers can apply for 35 percent cost share assistance, up to $3,500, toward the construction of a new hay storage structure, or an addition to an existing structure. Building sites must be well-drained and flooring must be concrete or 4 to 6 inches of gravel on plastic. Acceptable roofing materials include metal, shingles or polymer coated fabric.

To be eligible, farmers must be a Tennessee resident and operate a farm or agri-business located in the state with at least 10 head of cattle or 50 acres of hay production. Producers with livestock must also register their premises with the National Animal Identification System. Livestock premises can be registered at most Farm Service Agency, UT Extension, Farm Bureau or Co-op locations, or online at www.tennessee.gov/agriculture/tpis.

Only projects that are approved in advance by the Tennessee Department of Agriculture will be eligible for cost share assistance. Farmers will be limited to one application per fiscal year, and funding is on a “first come, first serve” basis. Once approved, farmers will have until Dec. 31, 2007 to complete approved activities and reimbursement requirements.

Applications for hay storage cost share are expected to be available Dec. 1 on the department’s Web site and at most local farm service centers and farm suppliers. Only applications postmarked Jan. 1, 2007 or after will be accepted, and farmers will have until April 1, 2007 to apply. For more information about the Tennessee Agricultural Enhancement Program’s hay storage initiative call (615) 837-5323 or visit online at www.picktnproducts.org.


Enter supporting content here

Premises Registration will be an "Official" USDA unique seven Character identifier.
In the New User Guide it states on Page 22:
The premises identification number (PIN) is assigned permanently to a geophysical location. If an owner or entity sells his/her farm, the next operators of the premises use the original premises identification number that had been
assigned to that location. If the seller buys a new location to build a new operation that never had livestock, he/she would register that location and obtain a new premises identification number (PIN).

Premises Identification = Encumbrance

Proud member
                                    of the Read the Bills Act Coalition

Comments on the site are very welcomed.. If you see something that is in error, point it out, if you have a document that needs posting, provide the information and if its state specific post the state.. This site is for all livestock owners..